Friday, March 26, 2010

Bedtime with the little people

This is not a topic which is extremely original but in our many trips to church it is glaringly obvious to me that some of my little people have some kinks to work out in their ability to sit still during the service or if they REALLY should be paying attention and participating, not just hanging around their mother's neck or drawing weird pictures. It occurred to me to spend some time at the end of day with them discussing some of these kinks with them. It is really the only time of the day when I have only their attention and I am a firm believer in not underestimating a child's ability to understand what is being explained to them.

Stefan, 3, has been in the habit of beating the pastor's hands off his head when given a blessing. This is what we discussed last night and there was a marked improvement in his behavior at the rail this morning. I simply explained what Pastor was doing to him and discussed why he shouldn't be beating him away. Then, I had a little chat with him about holy communion and how someday he can participate in that way. He listened. I intend to KEEP talking to him about this so he better understands what is happening. Why would I NOT talk to him? Because he is three? He is really quite bright and from other conversation he obviously knows what is happening in other cases so why not what is happening at church. I also figure that at bedtime before prayers is very good time to talk with him seeing as he can then fall asleep thinking about that.

Benjamin, 7, has just fallen into some bad habits during the service which weren't there when he was four. Of course I will chat that out with him. Bedtime has become 'work on your catechism' memory work with mom time too. I am sure it won't happen every night but it too seems an appropriate time to do so even he hears it earlier in the day. I struggle to find time with the little people but this is a way I would love to spend time with them.

If Stefan is drug out of the sanctuary screaming next week I will not see these thoughts as failure. Persevere! Ingrid gets some similar chats. Erik knew much of the Lord's Prayer at less than two so why can't Ingrid hear and understand too.

That is all.........

No comments:

Post a Comment