Friday, February 10, 2012

The symphony and observing

When I go to the symphony, which is sort of rare nowadays, I spend much of my time thinking and soaking it in.   I soak in the people who are there to watch.   Some attendees amuse me with their pretentiousness.   However there are many in both the audience and the symphony which I sort of spend time watching and pondering.  I ponder the pretentious ones too but perhaps I don't find them quite as interesting.  The end result and the beginning and the end of my observing is,  I don't know how anyone can go to a great symphony concert and still believe in evolution.  

There was a lecture/discussion time before the concert and they had their composer in residence talk about her composition which they were performing later.   I loved listening to how she grew up in London, listened to Pink Floyd and the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, and other such bands as a child with her parents who not particularly interested in classical type music.   I was actually sort of reveling in this bit of information as it goes to show how great classical composers and musicians actually CAN be a product of such 'scandalous' upbringing.    

Anyway, just sitting and listening to her and the complexity of her life and her interactions with others could not possibly be a result of a creature who 'evolved'.   She was complex.   The man who interviewed her was just as complex and interesting.   The piece she composed was no small feat.   Loved it.   The Schubert was great and that guy was no simple guy.    Each and every member of the symphony got there somehow as little children who dinked around on their instruments, got serious and found their niche in the music world.    One talented group of players.   Talent, simple and complex people, simple and complex lives are not the product of evolution folks.  

Then there is the ordinary audience.   The guy in front of me intently listening.   The woman next to me during the intermission studying her program.  The lady on the elevator who was worried the elevator would not return to the main floor.   The man in the wheel chair being patiently cared for by his wife.   The lady beside me who was sad her husband was getting too old and feeble to come with her anymore.   I talked with her a long time before the concert and she just perked right up and talked about her kids and some people we  mutually knew.   She was from the same town I grew up in and her daughter went to school with my brother.   Small world.   My heart went out to her.   She dozed off a few times but clearly still loved a good day at the symphony.   I have a weird fascination with talking to older people and hearing their stories and the enthusiasm they have left in their old lives.   Taking an interest in the older generation is a comfort somehow and it is great to see them smile and it is endearing to see their pining for the health they used to know and the people they have spent time with in their lives.   Helps remind me I am not alone.  

The symphony members themselves and the conductor do have their ordinary lives they return to when not rehearsing and preparing.  They have families and homes in spite of their incredible talent.  They came from families and were little children to a mommy and daddy once upon a time and still are.    I don't know why I find this so interesting but these are some of things I ponder when I get the opportunity to just stop and observe people.   Observing is fun and interesting.     

Evolved.   Really?   Looking around at the ordinary, which really is not all that ordinary, and the wonders of people with unique gifts leaves me with no question that only God could create such a wonderful creation where people and the creation around us enrich our lives.   Even on a 'blue' day, the creation is still there filling our days.   God's creation is more than fascinating and is certainly not evolved.   Have fun and take pause to quietly watch and take joy in the people and creation around you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment