Friday, September 23, 2011

Poisonous Leftovers

What is it with leftovers that seems to turn my children's stomach?   THey can love and adore the fresh food  the evening before and then the next day will have nothing to do with it even when prodded to eat the same thing.    I have discovered the secret that mothers have searched high and low for, to get their children to eat the dreaded leftovers.     There are two parts to this secret.    The first part is to run out of bread, not make any or buy any, and then make no effort to remember it at the store.    What happens is they have to make something to eat.   But wait.....there is a second part to this relentless problem.   Even when we run out of bread, the kids will make themselves scrambled eggs instead.    Um.....no.....scrambled eggs, a dirty pan, eggs left on the counter and.....a refrigerator which is still the home of the poison.

So what is the secret?   I am sure you are dying to know.   I found the secret when I decided to make up a schedule for the kids which required them to each have a day to prepare lunch for everyone else.   What to do they asked themselves and me.    This is when it started to happen.   Each child, on their special day of lunch preparation, looked at me in disbelief when there was no bread.    I pointed out to them the meals which were already prepared for them and they discovered the amazing ease of heating them up and dishing them out.    There are far fewer leftovers now.   I am relieved.   The fridge is relieved and we spend less on bread.  

I know.....some of y'all do not have leftovers.   We do.   They are poison unless push comes to shove.   Now to just stick to my guns on this despite the BLT's we had the other night.   I personally am not a fan of sandwiches so the lack of bread is of no loss to me.   Evil mother......

5 comments:

  1. I can't do leftovers more than 2 times, and I get really tired of making two brand new meals a day. I finally learned to make enough at dinner for the next day's lunch, and that's it. It's worked well for us. Sometimes my kid eats dinner, but refuses lunch, and sometimes it's the opposite. Oh well. At least my husband doesn't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, that is my other goal. I need to figure out how to make the right amount but seem to miss the mark too often which results in too many choices. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it will all change when my kid grows up and wants to eat more. By then, who knows? Perhaps we'll have more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same problem here. Bread is not purchased as much as it used to be and I'm making the eggs off limits. I do let the kids use left- overs inside wraps. It seems to be enough of a disguise that everyone eats without complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not having bread seems to make things better and better here as the experiment goes on.....

    ReplyDelete